Please respect us and do not download our images.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Power outage

What a disaster.
I meet Tyler at the community college after I teach a lesson on tuesdays and thursdays. I was trying to call him to see where he was parking and no luck. I get on the freeway and bam, no movement anywhere for miles. I mean we are in gridlock at a complete standstill.

The radio informs me that there is a "Rolling Blackout that is effecting, Temecula, all of San Diego county, some of Mexico and Arizona" What this is crazy, I think, "its not that big of a deal just no power." Wrong was I! A huge deal. No one knows how to drive when the lights are out. I saw several accidents and the only thing going through my head is where are Tyler and Tavin.


Finally we get through to each other for a minute and we have decided to meet at home but Tyler is stuck at a park because traffic is so bad. The Mayor comes onto the radio and advises everyone to stay off the roads. (Thats helpful considering every single resident is on the road trying to get home from work since the power blew). People were stuck in elevators trying to get oxygen, in trollies and on rides at sea world
. It was a mess. It took me 3 hours to make my way through the mess and get home. I saw 3 people put into body bags which horrifies me and brought me to tears. I heard the Mayor tell us "to activate our family emergency plans," I did this as soon as I got home.

About 5 minutes after I got home, praying and hoping Tyler would be home soon I heard the backyard gate open and could not have been happier to see my two boys. I was honestly horrified at what was taking place and so happy to be with them. We then grabbed a bottle of wine and went to our neighbors. We sat in the front yard eating all the food that was going to go bad in the fridge and talked, as we listened to updates from the radio.

Well Since I live in a beach town, most every house was open for a party. It was funny watching every one go back and forth from house to house just having a good time in the dark. I went home and to bed. I honestly hope there is never and earthquake here because people just could not handle it.


I am thankful for our SDG&E company to getting the power back on by 2A.M. this morning and for all their hard work all day and night. I am thankful to those who drove carefully and stayed calm. I am proud that most got home safely and am hurting for those who didn't The power outage could have not happened at a worst time. We have been having such hot weather here.